Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner

New Corsa E 1.4 sri 75bhp 3dr/ Abrasive noise front wheels

16K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Susan44 
#1 ·
Had the car for just 3 weeks now. The car has only covered 420 miles from new. Over the past week a kind of abrasive slight grindy noise has appeared from the front n/s wheel. The noise level varies depending on the road surface but is permenantly present now. Depressing the clutch and free wheeling doesn't make any difference either. Took the car to vauxhall today for a technician to do a road test. Drove for about 3 miles on the road test and the technician assured me it was nothing to worry about as it wasn't a wheel bearing noise or gearbox noise or driveshaft etc. It was apparantly normal and put it down to the build of the car and materials used? So in a nutshell just spent over 10 grand on a new car that will now drive me mad with this abrasive grinding noise that apparently has no cure? Anybody on here had similar symptoms or same experience with vauxhall technicians?

#3 ·
No its more of an abrasive sound similar to braking with worn pads yet the pads are brand new and the brakes are not sticking. It's permenant at all speeds on all road surfaces. Noise increases and decreases on different road surfaces. So annoying...

#5 ·
Cheers for reply and the tip. Im seeking a second opinion from a different vauxhall dealer next week out of my local area. I bought the car from Arnold Clark in Morecambe. The technician who road tested the car seemed fairly convincing over my concerns but I've opted for second opinion from Pentagon vauxhall. The car is under warranty for 3 years I believe so I guess any vauxhall dealer can get involved and help resolve the issue. Thanks again for the tip.

#7 ·
Cheers for advice Jarviser. Road noise and grindy breaks on the Corsa has to be the biggest let down. Had corsa D sxi last year and the breaks on that were awful. Maybe I should have gave it more thought when choosing the latest corsa as to whether or not similar issues would reappear. Maybe the " All New Corsa" isn't really all new after all. Thanks again for advice.

#9 ·
Keep an eye on your front discs...a few years ago, my brand new Insignia Elite was scoring discs every 50 or so miles...they were replaced (grudgingly) under warranty twice, but after the 3rd time in a week, and doing some investigations on forums, it was revealed that GM had a whole batch of dodgy pads in circulation with UK Dealers!

It wasn't until I kicked up a stink at Vx that they admitted that there was indeed rogue pads in circulation, and sent out new discs/pads to be fitted to my car, which subsequently lasted over 50,000 miles. Don't be fobbed off by the bean-counting dealers either......if it's a new car, create Mary Hell until it gets resolved.

#10 ·
Quick update... Had the car inspected for second time but again no joy. Road noise was the diagnosis on this occasion. With it being an abrasive noise i think it's highly likely it's disc or pad related but to be honest I'm done with vauxhalls " who cares" attitude when you visit them for advice and assistance. Cars now done only 1378 miles and I'm now looking at getting rid of the car never to purchase a vauxhall ever again. Many thanks to you all who have taken the time to read my post and share your similar experiences.

#11 ·
Interesting post: let's think positive, this may be nothing more than a sticking caliper. Next time you come home,
gently feel the O/S and N/S discs and see if one is hotter than the other. Examine the outer pads (easy with alloy
wheels) and see if the N/S one is more worn. Note down what you find, inform your dealer: discs and pads are not
a particularly difficult task (did them on my C, took all of an hour), change them if in doubt. Here's hoping you get
this problem resolved in a satisfactory manner, kind of thing that could happen with any car.

#17 ·
So yet another update. Today 31st October the car was back at Vauxhall Morecambe for a service process to establish once and or all ( or so I thought) what was causing this awful noise. Unfortunately no such luck. The service notes state Checked for grinding noise when driving, noise is still present. Carried out road test in similar vehicles and mileage but noise is not present on them. Carried out bulletin from Vauxhall but noise still present, technical case has now been set up.
So now will have to wait and see what happens. The brake system, pads,discs and callipers have been checked and are all in safe working order and are not the cause. This grinding noise appeared at just 300 miles and the car has now only covered 1400 miles and the noise has gradually increased throughout. So heres hoping this technical case will root out the cause once and for all.

#18 ·
Pj46 said:
So yet another update. Today 31st October the car was back at Vauxhall Morecambe for a service process to establish once and or all ( or so I thought) what was causing this awful noise. Unfortunately no such luck. The service notes state Checked for grinding noise when driving, noise is still present. Carried out road test in similar vehicles and mileage but noise is not present on them. Carried out bulletin from Vauxhall but noise still present, technical case has now been set up.
So now will have to wait and see what happens. The brake system, pads,discs and callipers have been checked and are all in safe working order and are not the cause. This grinding noise appeared at just 300 miles and the car has now only covered 1400 miles and the noise has gradually increased throughout. So heres hoping this technical case will root out the cause once and for all.
Please keep us updated as I have the same problem as you and mine goes in on Wednesday

#20 ·
The TPMS will need relearning tool if you keep them swapped. Dont see what difference it will make

While the wheels are off check for rubbing disks, any dust shields and grit. Check free movement of pads etc. Roughness in the bearing too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.