Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner

Are Tyre Puncture Repair Kits safe to use?

10K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  elsid 
#1 ·
:)

#2 ·
Yes its a get you home repair kit. if you use the repair kit gunge the tyre is written off. It cannot be repaired.
If you use the rubber plugs it is an mot failure (illegal?) although when i was a lad they were a finished repair so if done properly they last a long time. But then in those days they were cross ply tyres mostly. I wouldnt drive at 70 with a plugged radial on the offside front.
I think that puncture is too near the edge so it way be a write-off anyway. I would put in 50 psi using the pump without the gunge and slowly drive to the nearest tyre shop while monitoring the TPMS.

#4 ·
elsid said:
Yes that's what I thought. Only had the car two weeks and now I need a new tyre.
You don't say if the tyre has actually gone down, sometimes a srew will be in th tyre but not actually enter the inside and the tyre will stay inflated. If this is the case keep driving and checking the pressure, the head may wear off and leave everything OK. I would still put it on the back though!

#11 ·
Given that the only thing keeping your pride and joy attached to the road surface are 4 x £80 bits of rubber, it's pretty much a no-brainer. Get it replaced. Properly. And pretty damn quickly!!

#13 ·
Puncture repair kits are safe to use IF you use them in what is considered the minor repair area. Since yours is well outside that it's NOT safe in this instance. Doesn't matter if it's on the back, if it blows out at 70-80mph on the motorway it could cause you to loose control. If you hit and god forbid kill someone then you'd be going down for manslaughter! Sorry to sound blunt but why take the risk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.