MOT Fail 2016 top mount???

All Corsa E related discussions

MOT Fail 2016 top mount???

Post by 01484 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:58 pm

I was wondering if you could please assist with my query.
I am the owner of a vauxhall Corsa 2016 with only just 23000 miles on the clock.
My cars MOT had failed because of Offside Front Macpherson strut mounting likely to fail Top mount.
My cars is not used much only short trips such as from home to town.
Upon reading about this issue online it seems like this is a common issue?? And that this is perfectly normal and that a small amount of movement is normal.
If you go on the link below and read one of the forums for this problem it seems to be normal and nothing wrong with this part.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post ... m?t=102405

My MOT failed due to this part and was told to purchase a new one for it to pass. I had to purchase a new strut mount and the garage charged to fit this in.
I always keep my car maintained and I knew when I took the car to the MOT garage there was nothing wrong with it and should pass straight through.

It seems like the garage charged me for unnecessary costs/repairs to my vehicle.

I have obtained the original part for my car from the garage and can see absolutely nothing at fault with the part.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Re: MOT Fail 2016 top mount???

Post by 01484 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:45 pm

Pics of the original mount removed from car

IMG-20200905-WA0009.jpeg

IMG-20200905-WA0010.jpeg

Nickosnose

Post by Nickosnose » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:15 am

A lot of the MOT test is down to the opinion of the tester...if you took the car somewhere else it may have passed on the strut mount but failed on something else....

I doubt they were trying to rip you off as you bought the part and fitting it is a 30 minute job so there isn't a lot of profit in the job....

Post by 01484 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:21 am

Nickosnose wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:15 am
A lot of the MOT test is down to the opinion of the tester...if you took the car somewhere else it may have passed on the strut mount but failed on something else....

I doubt they were trying to rip you off as you bought the part and fitting it is a 30 minute job so there isn't a lot of profit in the job....
Yeh true.... But the same garage failed my brother's astra last year too for a fractured coil spring.... We usually before MOT do a run through check brakes and wash and clean the car. He did check the springs too and cleaned them. So the MOT did fail cause of a coil spring we bought them part ourselves and got same garage who did MOT to fit it. When we asked for the old part to see where the fracture was they didn't show it us they said they threw it in bin.
Bit suspicious there :?

But yeh not taking it to that same garage next time.... I'd rather pay a little more and get it tested from another garage.

Do you think that strut can fail at 23000 miles??? He said to me the passenger side one has been replaced I can see.... I goes no iv almost had this car from new and no part has ever been repaired on it, but he wasn't agreeing.
They are young lads who have recently opened up a garage so makes me think less experienced.

I also remember my old car failed it's MOT from these guys cause the brake lights were working.... Well they were working when I took the car but when I checked after it had failed they weren't working... None of the 3 rear brake lights worked at all.... I asked what the problem could be he said bulbs need checking.... Immediately they started opening the lights up checking the bulbs which were fine.... I knew problem was elsewhere so took the car away and it was the brake switch had been pushed right in so pulled it back out and started working fine. See they seem less experienced to me.

I guess ill just leave it then, the only thing that annoyed me was that car is running perfectly fine no knocking noises no issues at all but it failing on the strut.... It passed from same garage last year but by another person checking it.

Thanks for your reply

paul04

Post by paul04 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:33 pm

When I got my corsa E 3 years ago, when going over speed humps or pot holes the front suspension would knock (car had done 20,000miles) vauxhall replaced the suspension mounts free of charge,

Must be a weak part on them. Even had to replace the front discs at 25,000 miles as they were so badly scored they would have failed an MOT.

Sadly nothing made to last these days

Post by 01484 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:50 am

Yeh that's exactly what one parts shop said nothing made to last nowadays. I have been in touch with vauxhall to try and see if this is a known issue with corsa cars they said they will investigation and let me know. I'll report back on here and let you guys know the outcome.
Thanks for your replies.

Rickardo

Post by Rickardo » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:22 pm

01484 wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:58 pm

My cars MOT had failed because of Offside Front Macpherson strut mounting likely to fail Top mount.

Did they fail it because of rust in pic?

stuntdouble

Post by stuntdouble » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:34 am

My MOT tester put it down as an advisory and as showing movement but not enough for a fail,

Mines done 30K
MY15 Excite 1.0T A/C S/S Flame Red

CDAW

Post by CDAW » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:48 pm

I use a garage through Servicing Stop. They send a video of any issues they find whilst doing the checks.
Corsa Excite Ac Ecoflex 1.4L 3Dr (2015)