Best way to hand wash the car?

All Corsa E related discussions
All_Black

Best way to hand wash the car?

Post by All_Black » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:52 pm

I've always used a sponge first, rinsed and dried off with a chamois, but the other day I decided to check if a chamois was better or worse than new fangled microfiber cloths. I've now bought a couple of 'waffle weave' microfiber cloths as it seems they draw dirt and grit away from the paintwork as they dry, avoiding micro-scratches.

So now I'm wondering about the initial sponge phase - surely scrubbing with a sponge also creates fine scratches in the first place?

I'm puzzled now. What should I be doing?

mattb_srivx

Re: Best way to hand wash the car?

Post by mattb_srivx » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:16 am

Rule 1: DON'T USE A SPONGE

Seriously. Should always use a microfibre or sheepskin mitt. Sponges just move dirt around on the surface and can inflict some serious damage in terms of swirl marks. Ideally you want to rinse as much dirt off the car before you even touch it with anything.

Also traditional chamois aren't great for drying either, your best with a proper drying towel but a good microfibre will suffice.
Corsa SRi-VXLine 1.4T

All_Black

Post by All_Black » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:25 pm

OK thanks, will look into mitts. Cheers!

john002

Post by john002 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:57 am

i can only say I have used Sponges now with wash and wax + plenty of water, hosed off , finished off with a traditional chamois ( last one purchased from QD extra large, best one so far).

Been washing cars and vans for sixty years and always done it this way, never suffered swirls.

Can't see me changing anytime soon.
2015 Corsa E 1.4i 90PS ecoFLEX Excite (AC) , 3 Door, Shiny Rocks (Wifes)
2011 Fiesta 1.25 Zetec 3 door (Mine )

mattb_srivx

Post by mattb_srivx » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:18 pm

Each to their own, but there is a reason why the pros don't use sponges!

http://www.carcleaningguru.com/why-you- ... -your-car/
Corsa SRi-VXLine 1.4T

piercedrab

Post by piercedrab » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:36 pm

ive never used a sponge ive always used a microfiber mitt using the 2 bucket method with grit guards

Midva0205

Post by Midva0205 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:13 am

I am always using two way bucket system as @piercedrab said before me with this mitt:

Rickardo

Post by Rickardo » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:50 pm

Even using mits and cloths can cause damage to paintwork especially if it's metallic

Best to get a solid colour as they hid the scratches better

mattb_srivx

Post by mattb_srivx » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:50 pm

Any contact washing has the potential to damage the paint. Which is why a lot of professional detailers use a snow foam pre-wash. That gets most of the crud off before you even touch it. Sadly though it's inevitable you'll have to use a bit of elbow grease in some areas and risk inflicting damage.

Mines solid and I can see fine marks and scratches compared to when I got it, only way to get them out is a machine polish but that's not something you want to be doing too often either as it takes a fine layer of the clear coat off each time.

If you want to see some really impressive detailing on some tasty cars have a look at Miglior Detailing on Facebook. They even do new car paint corrections and it's shocking how some cars costing upwards of £100k come out of the factory. Appalling in fact lol.
Corsa SRi-VXLine 1.4T

Hoovie

Post by Hoovie » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:58 am

Rickardo wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:50 pm
Even using mits and cloths can cause damage to paintwork especially if it's metallic

Best to get a solid colour as they hid the scratches better
Not sure if that is true anymore.
In the past the solid colours had no clearcoat and the paint seemed to be a bit harder - but downside was the fading (hence the classic Pink Corsa look), but now all colours, metallic OR solid, have the same clear top coat and swirls are equally visible.

For me, I use the 2BM system as others previously posted, but I NEVER rub the mitt hardon the paintwork to clean it. A very gentle pressure is all you want ideally and use a snow foam or similar first to dwell on the surface to loosen the dirts grip.
I also use Autosmart G101 quite extensively on bugs and fly splats - perfect to remove without any cloth pressure needed, and Autosmart TARDIS to deal with tar spots kicked up and sticking low down. Again, spray, dwell and wipe.

Return to “Main Corsa E chat”