1.0LT MPG

All Corsa E related discussions
k12byx

1.0LT MPG

Post by k12byx » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:48 pm

Hi All

I recently bought a 1.0L T SE

I filled her up with super unleaded and the remaining mileage showed 500+ miles

Ive covered 250 miles and the tank is on the last square beneath the petrol gauge

My question is really - is this normal - its cold, and we only do short journeys so its not unusual to have low mpg

Alos how reliable is the onboard mileage thing? it still shows 100+ miles but the petrol has only 1 square on it.

Also does a petrol warning light ever come on? and how much mileage does this generally give? I'm not overly fussed as ill just fill it up but just curious really

Thanks in advance

FirestoneDK

Re: 1.0LT MPG

Post by FirestoneDK » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:59 pm

I get circa 500-528 miles (800-850 kilometers) out of a tank. But i also have a parking heater, and i am doing an absolute minimum of driving in the city.
Keep in mind that the petrol gauge is not linear, so you can't count on the bars. I've experienced that the estimated mileage left is very accurate within a few percents. A warning does come on, the last bar turns orange at 150 km (93 miles) and a full screen warning comes on at 50 km (31 miles) left.

mattb_srivx

Post by mattb_srivx » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:01 pm

What is your average MPG showing?
This is quite good for working out real world MPG: http://www.mpg-calculator.co.uk/

Short journeys generally kill MPG, especially at this time of year when you're likely to be using the heated screens, seats/steering wheel and have the heaters on full bore.

I believe when it's really low it will flash the red light constantly, beep at you and also not allow you to clear the low fuel warning that comes up. I've no idea how long it is between the first low fuel warning flashing up and that though, I've never risked it. The only time I've seen my car do that is when I picked it up after buying it :lol:

If you're showing 1 bar left @ 250 miles done I'd say you've probably another 50-70 miles in there. So in theory that should mean your doing 30-31MPG to 45 litres of fuel.
Corsa SRi-VXLine 1.4T

k12byx

Post by k12byx » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:45 am

thanks for the feedback guys ok i took it one step further last night

when first petrol bar turns red there is 5L of fuel remaining

for me i got 270 miles from 35L - giving 35mpg exactly -based on this i will assume i have 40 miles when the red square appears (just over a gallon)

like i say the car is used for short journeys in the cold so i assume its killing it - just wasnt expecting it to be so far behind the 55-75mpg advertised!

mattb_srivx

Post by mattb_srivx » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:56 pm

Only time your likely to get anywhere near 55MPG is on a long steady motorway run with the wind behind you!

To be fair, 35MPG isn't too bad for short journeys in winter. I'd expect you to get another 2-3MPG out of it over the warmer summer months.

Have you checked your tyre pressures lately? Vauxhall state two pressures normal/comfort and eco. Eco being a higher pressure which is meant to help reduce rolling resistance/drag and improve MPG. Might be worth seeing what they are at and adjusting accordingly.
Corsa SRi-VXLine 1.4T

Susan44

Post by Susan44 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:57 am

I average 38 with a 1.4 NA auto on mostly shopping trips under 8 miles!. The turbos should do 50 on mixed traffic. Theres only one way to ckeck it and thats from full tank to full tank, mileage divided by gallons bought between fills. Using gauge spots is inaccurate.
1.4 Auto SE

Rickardo

Post by Rickardo » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:33 am

Lol when are people not going to be fooled by manufacturers MPG figures

They don't tell you under what conditions they achieve this mostly through taping up gaps and weight reduction

FirestoneDK

Post by FirestoneDK » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:58 pm

Rickardo wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:33 am
Lol when are people not going to be fooled by manufacturers MPG figures

They don't tell you under what conditions they achieve this mostly through taping up gaps and weight reduction
They are testing their vehicles according to a test standard made by EU. Don't be silly, taping gaps and weight reduction? :lol: :lol:
I know that their test standard is waaaay off real world driving conditions, but that is an other discussion. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Rickardo

Post by Rickardo » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:25 pm

"They are testing their vehicles according to a test standard made by EU"

The current test has been in place since 1999 and manufacturers are able to conduct their own testing, using vehicles specifically chosen for the task

Also test routines are relatively simple and do not tax the car greatly, meaning the results will inevitably be very favourable. There are no complications like hills, headwinds, traffic, different drivers with different driving styles, weather variables, luggage, under-inflated tyres, and other factors which will affect fuel economy. The results will always be a best-case scenario.

FirestoneDK

Post by FirestoneDK » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:11 pm

Rickardo wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:25 pm
"They are testing their vehicles according to a test standard made by EU"

The current test has been in place since 1999 and manufacturers are able to conduct their own testing, using vehicles specifically chosen for the task

Also test routines are relatively simple and do not tax the car greatly, meaning the results will inevitably be very favourable. There are no complications like hills, headwinds, traffic, different drivers with different driving styles, weather variables, luggage, under-inflated tyres, and other factors which will affect fuel economy. The results will always be a best-case scenario.
Allow me to quote myself: "I know that their test standard is waaaay off real world driving conditions"

Return to “Main Corsa E chat”