1st MOT.....worrying discovery, and atrocious customer service from Vauxhall

All Corsa E related discussions
Moog70

1st MOT.....worrying discovery, and atrocious customer service from Vauxhall

Post by Moog70 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:00 pm

My Corsa is 3 years old today, so was booked in for its 3rd interim service and inaugural MOT. It passed, no problem, however, will not pass the next one. Here's why.

The rear discs were found to be severely corroded on the inners. The pads still had over 5mm on them, but the actual discs are below Vauxhalls tolerance of 20mm. This on a vehicle that has only done 24000 miles!

Dealer raised it as a warranty claim with Vx, citing that the rear discs were clearly faulty, as they factory pads still had plenty of tolerance and the fronts (which do the bulk of the hard work) were perfectly OK. Expecting a simple nod from Customer Services to replace under warranty, the claim was dismissed over the telephone citing "normal wear and tear", and no further discussions would be entered into.

The Master Technician at the dealer tried to explain in technical terms, but the airhead teenager on the customer service desk wouldn't allow him - the decision was final, and I, as the customer, "could appeal it if I wanted to"!!

To say I'm bloody furious with their attitude is an understatement - they wouldn't listen to a technical explanantion from one of their own senior techs - the discs are clearly duff - it happens, but it's how it's dealt with that makes the difference. In this case, Vauxhall as a manufacturer have fallen well short here - naturally I will appeal it, but I can already feel an uphill battle ahead dealing with call-centre bints that don't have the first clue about how vehicles work, or what should and shouldn't fail this prematurely. Obviously updating their Twatter/Arsebook/Instaslag profiles in working hours is considerably more important than actually even attempting to resolve the issue.

Useless!!

Rachael
Current - MY17 1.4T Energy 3 Door Persian Blue (with now useless heated steering wheel)
Gone - MY15 1.4i Excite 3 Door Deep Sea Blue (with brilliant heated steering wheel)

Marksparks

Re: 1st MOT.....worrying discovery, and atrocious customer service from Vauxhall

Post by Marksparks » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:00 am

i have had similar experience on a brand new Vauxhall, not supplied as advrtised... i told them i would reject the vehicle their reaction was go on then.

Essentially it was advertised with heated mirrors, but not supplied with, the difference is a 3 or 5 wire loom from the door to the mirror and mirror glass with the contacts/heater grid, cost about £30. They wouldnt consider retrofit by the dealer without invalidating the vehicle warranty. Some vehicles had them fitted others didnt, i suspect either a shortfall in parts, or penny pinching?

The dealer were great, they eventually agreed it was possible, but couldnt do it, as Vx would invalidate the Warranty. In the end the dealer offered an additional two years free servicing... Vauxhall ended up having to withdraw all their brochures nationally.

To be honest i cannot fault our local Vauxhall Dealership...

devon556

Re: 1st MOT.....worrying discovery, and atrocious customer service from Vauxhall

Post by devon556 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:09 pm

Moog70 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:00 pm
My Corsa is 3 years old today, so was booked in for its 3rd interim service and inaugural MOT. It passed, no problem, however, will not pass the next one. Here's why.

The rear discs were found to be severely corroded on the inners. The pads still had over 5mm on them, but the actual discs are below Vauxhalls tolerance of 20mm. This on a vehicle that has only done 24000 miles!

Dealer raised it as a warranty claim with Vx, citing that the rear discs were clearly faulty, as they factory pads still had plenty of tolerance and the fronts (which do the bulk of the hard work) were perfectly OK. Expecting a simple nod from Customer Services to replace under warranty, the claim was dismissed over the telephone citing "normal wear and tear", and no further discussions would be entered into.

The Master Technician at the dealer tried to explain in technical terms, but the airhead teenager on the customer service desk wouldn't allow him - the decision was final, and I, as the customer, "could appeal it if I wanted to"!!

To say I'm bloody furious with their attitude is an understatement - they wouldn't listen to a technical explanantion from one of their own senior techs - the discs are clearly duff - it happens, but it's how it's dealt with that makes the difference. In this case, Vauxhall as a manufacturer have fallen well short here - naturally I will appeal it, but I can already feel an uphill battle ahead dealing with call-centre bints that don't have the first clue about how vehicles work, or what should and shouldn't fail this prematurely. Obviously updating their Twatter/Arsebook/Instaslag profiles in working hours is considerably more important than actually even attempting to resolve the issue.

Useless!!

Rachael
Best thing to do is get them replaced out of your own pocket, but keep the original ones for proof, then send a bill to Vauxhall with a letter and photos explaining what is wrong with the discs, I'd also ask the dealership to get pictures of the perfectly good front ones as proof. If Vauxhall then decide not to further your claim then you have all the proof to go to the small claims court and claim the money back that way.
2015 Corsa SE 1.4 90PS Automatic.

stuntdouble

Post by stuntdouble » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:33 am

you mention twitter fb and insta i suggest messaging them on all of those giving them a good kicking. ive had success with other companies who dont like their timeline filled up with negative stuff and are very keen to speak via PMs and come to some kind of arrangement,, might get you nowhere but worth a try and at least you can let off steam and warn others ;).
MY15 Excite 1.0T A/C S/S Flame Red

paul6car

Post by paul6car » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:44 am

Hi,
You are not alone in having rear discs fail quickly due to corrosion.
A friend of mine has a large VW I think a Tiguan.
The discs were deemed to be badly corroded after 2 years and about 20.000 miles by the main dealer.
VW would not stand a warranty claim and it cost the guy over £800.
I won't itemise the problems with my main dealer at Chester but they are awful.
Nice showroom but shame about the customer service.
The one time I complained to Vauxhall direct about a previous problem, via email, I found them helpful.

paul04

Post by paul04 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:22 pm

This is why I take my car to a independent garage, I've had dealing with vauxhall before, and found out the after care is not helpful at all, more like they could not careless once they have sold you the car.

I did pay to have to rear disc pads replaced on its 1st mot, just had its second mot, and have to replace the front discs and pads, car done 30,000 miles.