No projection After Firmware Auto Update UK

All Corsa E related discussions
Junx

Re: No projection After Firmware Auto Update UK

Post by Junx » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:27 pm

known issue, fix is detailed below (has to be done by SPS programming)

dilanski

Post by dilanski » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:21 am

Junx wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:27 pm
Is this document relevant to what people are experiencing? It seems outdated given the issue appears to have begun late october with an Android Auto update, and the above document looks to have been last updated 07/06/17.

An Android Auto team member has put out this comment recently, implying some fix has been issued to dealerships, so I was wondering if the above document is what I should be referencing when I contact my dealership tomorrow. But reading it closely I don't think it is the fix mentioned.

Such a frustrating issue to troubleshoot, so many possible points of failure, and it's difficult to find relevant information.

Junx

Post by Junx » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:57 pm

dilanski wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:21 am
Junx wrote:
Is this document relevant to what people are experiencing? It seems outdated given the issue appears to have begun late october with an Android Auto update, and the above document looks to have been last updated 07/06/17.

An Android Auto team member has put out this comment recently, implying some fix has been issued to dealerships, so I was wondering if the above document is what I should be referencing when I contact my dealership tomorrow. But reading it closely I don't think it is the fix mentioned.

Such a frustrating issue to troubleshoot, so many possible points of failure, and it's difficult to find relevant information.
I can confirm that a software update fixes this issue. I gave this document to the dealer and they followed it to the letter and the issue was resolved.

It also fixes the issue of low volume for navigation alerts.

Taker68

Post by Taker68 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:16 am

Junx wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:57 pm
dilanski wrote:
Junx wrote:

I can confirm that a software update fixes this issue. I gave this document to the dealer and they followed it to the letter and the issue was resolved.

Did you have to pay for this work to be carried out? I've just had a call with my dealer and they insist a £140 diagnosis must be carried out to understand the "problem" when I'm 99% sure it's just this simple software update that i've explained to them in detail! I don't like the idea of paying for the diagnostic and the update to be carried out then finding out I cannot be refunded which is why i'm hesitant.

Junx

Post by Junx » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:04 pm

Taker68 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:16 am
Junx wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:57 pm
dilanski wrote:

Did you have to pay for this work to be carried out? I've just had a call with my dealer and they insist a £140 diagnosis must be carried out to understand the "problem" when I'm 99% sure it's just this simple software update that i've explained to them in detail! I don't like the idea of paying for the diagnostic and the update to be carried out then finding out I cannot be refunded which is why i'm hesitant.
I paid £99 and got a £100 voucher from vauxhall after complaining

vittorio3@vipmail.hu

Post by vittorio3@vipmail.hu » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:48 pm

Hi everyone!

I've found a solution in a german Corsa forum site, that I'd like to share with you. That's why I'm a newbie here, I just registered to help you.

Firstly I bought a new USB data cable, because the previous one has been broken. The new one is a high quality flexible cable and costs only about 5 pounds (at least in my country)
The cable model is:
AXAGON BUCM-AM05SB 0,5m USB-C USB-A data cable

So the solution I've found to get the latest Android Auto version (4.9.594934-release arm64-v8a) work is as follows:
- Make sure that Deezer application is installed on your android phone (I've a Sony Xperia 10 mobile with Android 9)
- Before connecting your phone to your car start Deezer application
- Start to play any song in Deezer application then pause it, leave Deezer application running in the background
- Connect your phone to your car
- After a couple of seconds Android Auto icon should appear on your car's display
- If Android Auto icon is not showing on your car display, don't panic, just enter Deezer application on your phone and start to play a song. Now after couple of seconds Android Auto icon should really appear on your car's display. On success you can pause Deezer playing music.

A checked my Corsa's IntelliLink version and it's rather old 12.6.2, still managed to work with newest Android Auto.

Despite of this tricky solution, I'm planning to upgrade my car's firmware to the latest one, but I haven't got a confirmation yet from my dealer.

I hope it helps you fellows. :)

Good luck,
Vittorio

kazzoom12

Post by kazzoom12 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:29 pm

*Warning* long post ahead..... Sorry but I thought I should share my story. It does have a happy ending eventually. I hope this will help someone out.

What an interesting few weeks I've had relating to this issue. A little about myself. I currently have a 16 plate Corsa Limited Edition that I bought 16 months ago. It's my first car after passing my test a couple of years ago. No not bank of Mum and Dad :). I was a late bloomer in deciding to taking my lessons as I never really needed a car but suddenly decided I then wanted one. So being in my early-mid 20's I had a bit of extra cash to spend. Being a bit older than normal (and as I'm always told I was born 40) I seemed to have skipped the "boy racer" stage but wanted something with a bit more style over substance so opted for an LE. It has a 1.4 na engine so it still wouldn't break the bank on insurance. All was fine with the car up until a few months ago I was having issues with android auto not working without rolling it back to an older version. In December I emailed a major Vauxhall dealer in Lincoln (who I bought the car from (Can I reveal the name of said dealership??)) to get it resolved with an update as I think the version it was previously on was Aug 2015. The reply said they would need to book the car in and see if there is any updates for your concern and they must mention there is a charge £79.00 as sometimes these are not covered under network Q warranty. I confirmed that the £79 charge included checking if there was an update available (which we all know there is) and also include the installation of the update. They confirmed it did. I was satisfied with that (as my car is now out of manufactures and Network Q warranty) and booked it in for the first week in January.

Saturday 4th January 2020

D-day arrived and I got to the garage for 9am on Saturday (I need the car for work throughout the week, Mistake number 1? booking it in on a weekend?) to install the update. Booked it in at the service desk bla bla bla and showed them the document forum member Junx provided us (many thanks :) ) telling them mine is on an old version and needs to be updated to at least the 2017 update. They didn't really look at it and asked whether I had got it from an online forum to which i replied does it matter where it came from? Anyway I sat and waited thinking it shouldn't take long. How I was wrong. As I sat waiting I got a text from the garage with the results of my complimentary vehicle health check (all of which was fine apart from a decontamination recommended on the aircon. No thanks just do what I asked) 2 Hours passed until I finally decided to find out what was happening to which they replied they were having a little trouble getting the update installed but it shouldn't be much longer. Midday they finally came over to speak to me. In short It still hadn't been done and I had the choice of 2 options. Option 1- Take my car back home with me with no radio and bring it back Monday morning for them to work on it again. As mentioned I need the car for work but start early and have no other way of getting the car to the garage. Option 2 leave the car with them so they can work on it first thing Monday and use their hire car for the rest of the weekend. The hire car was usually £10 per day however that was reduced to £5 per day. Thinking I'd rather get it done as soon as possible (and not having to waste more of my own Fuel as I live 40 mins from the garage (It's my nearest)) I chose option 2. For those interested the hire car was a 19 plate Astra basic spec with an electronic handbrake which I don't really like at all but it didn't have an aerial fitted and it wasn't in the car so all I could listen to was Radio 1 and 2 with very poor reception *shudders*.

Monday 6th

Had no contact with the garage most of the day until I called them at 1:30 pm wanting to know where my car is. The person I spoke to first had no clue what was happening as they were not in at the weekend. It's 1:30 in the afternoon and you don't think to catch up on what happened the previous working day?!! In short they had left the battery off all weekend hoping it would reset the system but they still couldn't get the update installed. In the words of Jeremy Clarkson "How hard can it be" to install an update?

Tuesday 7th

Again had no contact until I called them again at 1:30pm. Nobody was available to speak to but they will call me back. 2:30 I called again to find out what's going on. Guess what, it's still not ready however they have basically had taken half my dashboard apart so they can get to the back of the radio to check the connections. I wasn't too pleased to say the least. 5:30pm I get a call from the service manager with a little slither of information. What he told me was there are a couple of updates that need applying, the 1st one is going though fine but the second one is not. They are going to try a forced update to get it to install. Whatever just get it done but before putting the phone down I made it very clear that I was quoted £79 to install the update and just because it's taken you this long so far to do it I won't be paying extra labour costs. They said it's gone over the quoted cost but they will keep it how it was for now.

Wednesday 8th

Surprise surprise I had no contact until I called them again at 1:30pm...... Sorry no one available but we will call you back. Someone did actually call me back at 2:30pm but the news wasn't good. Now I bet your thinking i'm going to say that it still isn't installed and you'd be correct BUT with a twist. This is roughly what the lady said. I didn't catch all of it was a little angry (but not rude to her and managed only to swear once) with what she told me. Basically not only has it not installed the update but now the whole infotainment system is completely unusable. No radio FM/DAB, no android auto, no Bluetooth phone connection, no settings where you can change the driver conveniences nothing. In fact the screen wouldn't switch on at all. In her words it was completely "fried" dead. WHAT THE F !!!!! She then told me she had put a warranty request into Vauxhall to cover the cost of a new infotainment system but they will only cover 60% of the cost as a good will gesture and I will have to pay the other 40% which will come to £415.68!!!! Oh and we also need the hire car back today. At this point I think some steam was coming out of my ears. In short I replied with I want what you've just told me down in writing and to email me it and don't worry I'm coming over with the car and to find out what the hell you've done to mine. Just before setting off I received the email saying that "We've put a request in to Vauxhall for a contribution towards the radio and they've authorised 60% as a goodwill gesture, leaving your 40% at £415.68. We have also been in touch with Vauxhall technical who advised of ways to possibly rectify this issue which have not worked, including carrying out a forced software update, following a technical bulletin and checking earths and feeds to the radio" I grabbed the spare key to my Corsa and headed over. Let's say the 40 min journey didn't quite take 40 mins this time (Drive safe kids).

When I arrived I parked up next to my car and got in it to check what had happened and indeed it was dead. Wouldn't turn on at all. I also now had no indicator tick sound and as I found out later no way to charge my phone in the car as I usually keep just a USB cable in there, no seat belt chime, door/boot chime and I assume no fuel warning sound. Absolutely no noise that usually comes though the speakers at all.

I went inside and judging by the way the receptionists face changed after seeing me she could tell I wasn't happy (Poor lady). I asked to see the service manager immediately. She went to fetch him and came back to say he will be with you in a few minutes. We then made small talk about the weather etc. I thought to myself I don't want to come across too aggressive towards them as they could likely have me removed from the premises and just refuse to fix the problem but I wan't to make it absolutely clear I'm fuming about it and I want it fixing and i'm not paying for it.
The manager came out and confirmed what my previous phone call, email and sitting in my car told me and I would have to foot the bill. I again basically said It came in for a simple update and there is now way on Earth I'm paying to fix what your company and service technicians incompetence has caused. If I have to I will seek legal advice and make a complaint to the financial ombudsman. He replied with It isn't a simple process and that updates to electronics are so large and are so many hundred megabytes these days and because my car had a 2015 software installed it meant it was also on older hardware that was out of date causing the size of the software update to fry the radio ECU. Basically he was just trying to baffle me with what he thought was some technical jargon. Little did he know i'm not and idiot (I'm by no means an expert but know a little about computers. Enough to know several hundred megabytes of data is basically nothing nowadays when we're talking about Terabytes and Petabytes and not trying to run it off a ZX Spectrum or BBC Micro. (Told you I was born middle aged XD)) After a bit of toing and froing he said he will but in a manual request for it to be looked at again by an actual human this time but it would take a couple of days to hear back. Failing that the only other option he could provide was for me to personally call Vauxhall direct and explain the situation to customer care as this will have more pulling power as the garage is stuck in the service/ repairs computer system.

Begrudgingly I handed the keys back for the hire car at the service desk and paid for it's use which they kept at £15 (mistake number 2?? Would I be stealing the car if I refused to hand it back?) for the Saturday - Monday even though I had used it longer and said they would not charge me the £79 for the update today as though they were doing me a favour. I piped back I should think not as you haven't bloody done it. I've brought it in and it's come back to me worse than before, to which another service guy replied "Well it came in with a fault didn't it?". I quickly followed up explaining the only fault it came in with was you not updating the software when it's released or when a car is being serviced but waiting for someone to complain about an issue before you do anything. He then suddenly found something important to look at on his computer. I then drove home with nothing but my bad singing to fill the silence at whatever time it was, I couldn't tell you as I could't see the clock in the car.

Thursday 9th

Finally some good news. Received a phone call from the garage to tell me Vauxhall will pay 100% of the cost for a new Radio system and she would now order one but it won't be fitted until the following week and will take a couple of hours to fit. I thought to myself I should think so too but held my tongue,thanked the lady and booked it in for Wednesday 15th January. 5 mins later she called back again as she had forgot that the service technician that's fitting it is on training on the 13th 14th and 15th that week so I rearranged it for Thursday 16th (today) at 9am and then booked a day off work so I can get it sorted. On training the week after receiving a complaint with the service they provided, coincident or not? I'll let you decide. At least it's going to get sorted but I'll have to put up with having to listen to Spotify on my phone stuck in the door pocket.

Thursday 16th (Today)

Got to the garage for 9am. All the staff I spoke to previously were friendly and chatty with me. I replied with good manners Handed my keys over expecting to wait for a couple of hours and it all be sorted. Just to add the cherry on top of this whole cake I was told the person working on my car was currently doing a diagnostic on another car. After that he would then start on mine and it may not be ready until 2pm. You What! You tell me it will take 2 hours and when I get here it will actually be ready in 5 hours? If i'd have known that I would have made arrangements for someone to collect me and bring me back. Fine, whatever just get in sorted. I could only take 2 hours of sitting and watching BBC news on repeat before I decided I'd had enough and told them you've got my number, call me when it's done, then proceeded to make the 25 min walk into the city centre. Not living in the city I don't really know where the nearest bus stop is or its times and I could do with a little exercise (but that's beside the point).

1pm Recieved a phone call saying everything is now sorted and the cars ready to pick up. Good I thought but now I've got a 30 min walk back :(

Back at the service desk it was now straight forward. Pretty much handed me my keys saying cheerfully it's all sorted and that there wasn't even any paperwork to give me or me to sign as it will all be sent off to warranty and that I don't have to pay the £79 for the software update or £400 I added and she laughed. I thanked them out of good manners and went on my way.

Before leaving the carpark I sat for 15 mins making sure everything worked and re-tuning the radio from the dreadful Radio 1 before leaving. I'm finally glad to say everything is now working as before, like it should be and android auto is also working on the latest version (It's back on auto updates) on a Nokia running android 10. Hopefully it will continue to work in future until I decide on getting another car. I will say this, the whole situation has put me off a little on buying another Vauxhall or going to the dealership whose name is also a 5 sided shape....... :) I quite like the look of the new Peugeot 208 even though Vauxhall is owned by PSA, anyway that won't be for a couple of years I would think.

For those interested I checked which version the new system is now running on and it says SW version: IP36.2.1(1.36.2.6) with dates below of May 2018 so whether this is the newest or not I don't know and won't be taking it back to see if there's a newer version XD. Oh I forgot to mention all this was happening while in talks with a solicitor (lawyer or whatever your equivalent is for the non UK folks) and removal companies as I am moving house next week so it was just adding stress on top.

Sorry for the huge post. I hope there's at least a little info in there that will help someone out..... or entertain you for a few minutes.

vittorio3@vipmail.hu

Post by vittorio3@vipmail.hu » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:22 am

kazzoom12, thank you for sharing your story with us, it was very informative, helpful and entertaining!

Will you be so kind to check your brand new headunit's hardware revision number and share with us?
As I wrote above, I have a rather old software version (1.12.6.2) in my 2016 Corsa E, the hardware revision is E2.
After reading your post I'm not sure whether I should get the software update done or not, but if I know what hardware revision you have now, it would be easier for me to decide.

Thank you in advance! :)

kazzoom12

Post by kazzoom12 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:30 pm

Sure no problem. This is a pic of the info on my old unit.

And this is one with the new unit fitted. As you can see it's still on E2. The only differences I have found so far is the projection icon on the new unit with the newer software is slightly different.

vittorio3@vipmail.hu

Post by vittorio3@vipmail.hu » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:44 pm

Thanx! :)

It's really interesting. It seems that hardware revision is the same in both, hence I don't understand the garage's claim that the new firmware didn't fit in the memory of the headunit. I think they screwed the update somehow, that's why opel sent the technician on a training, so he won't brick any more headunits afterwards. As far as I remember I have the same software and hardware version of your old unit, so I'm curious about what my dealership would say/do about the update.

If I get there, I promise I will share my story too, although I hope I won't walk in your shoes. ;)