WARNING: Insurance Scam - GHOST BROKERS

All Corsa E related discussions

Would you lie to your insurer for a cheaper price?

Yes
No votes
No
100%

Total votes: 2

Timmeh

WARNING: Insurance Scam - GHOST BROKERS

Post by Timmeh » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:59 pm

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum but have seen and wanted my first post to help as many people as I can.

Overall lesson: BUY YOUR INSURANCE FROM A COMPARISON WEBSITE OR DIRECT FROM AN INSURER.

If you are going anywhere other than somewhere clearly reputable, check the Financial Conduct Authority or Prudential Regulation Authority websites to see if they are registered. If not; stay away!

I work as a manager for the fraud team for Direct Line Group (Direct Line / Churchill / Privilege / And other partners like Audi, Natwest, Etc). I want to warn anyone who reads this and hope to spread the word about Ghost Brokers. They advertise on forums and social media. Offering cheap insurance. Simply do not do it!

I have added a few screenshots of some found on Instagram.

They will often ask for some basic info like your name / date of birth / etc... then do a quote and come back to you. BUT they will have entered false info to make your price cheaper. Such as:
* False address in a cheaper area
* False occupation
* False licence years
* Not disclosing claims or convictions

False or incorrect information on your policy will mean it is invalid. Your policy could be cancelled or voided back to the beginning (void ab initio) and you could be loaded to a fraud prevention agency like CIFAS or the Insurance Fraud Register (IFR). This will impact you, your credit and financial standing for up to 6 years.

From an insurers point of view, you may have been scammed. But it is YOUR responsibility to ensure your policy is accurate. It is a contract so there is no 'whoops, my bad, I'll correct the information'. The contract is already invalid and cannot continue.

I hope this helps, even one person. Stay safe people.

Screenshot_20200202-195725_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20200202-195714_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20200202-195658_Instagram.jpg

2016 Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 EcoFlex 5Dr SRI