Where has my coolant gone

Faults and Technical chat for the Corsa E
Fishy23

Where has my coolant gone

Post by Fishy23 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:51 am

Strange yesterday high temp warning came on stopped and had to put around 4 litres water in no apparant leaks and no contamination in oil or sludge in and around oil filler cap. Don't really drive far as I'm retired and sort of carer for my Linda. Any idea anyone, I'm taking it into dealer as it's only just over a year old.

FirestoneDK

Re: Where has my coolant gone

Post by FirestoneDK » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:35 am

Which engine?

Fishy23

Post by Fishy23 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:18 pm

Sorry forgot to say it's the 1.0 Litre Turbo just 11 k miles. It seems ok no nasty noises and no smoke although in the colder weather it steamed a bit but dealer checked it over then and gave it the all clear.

mattb_srivx

Post by mattb_srivx » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:06 pm

Get it back to the dealers. Coolant just doesn't disappear and there is only one of two ways it can go! It's either leaking it or burning it.
4 litres is a lot to have to top up. Does it smoke at all when it's from a cold start or during driving that you've noticed?

Short journeys can ruin car engines over time but I'd not expect any issues with just 11k on the clock.

If they look it over and can't find anything, I would be tempted to take it on a good run and use the entire rev range to get everything nice and hot. Then check the coolant levels the day after and see if they've dropped again.
Corsa SRi-VXLine 1.4T

Fishy23

Post by Fishy23 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:55 pm

Thanks mattb for that advice no it doesn't smoke when warm I think it does put some out when first started. To be fair the dealer tech said get it in asap for a check. Just can't get my head around we're it's gone.
1 no contamination in oil, to the best of my knowledge.
2 can't see any leaks.
3 doesn't show disturbance in header tank.
Summing up baffled

TheGeorge

Post by TheGeorge » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:31 pm

Another possibility is a hairline crack in the head gasket or the engine block.

When the engine is cold, the crack can seal itself (so no water reaches the oil pan while the car is idle). Then, when the engine gets warm, it 'activates', and a small quantity of water turns to steam in the affected cylinder - in warm weather this would be invisible, in cold weather there would be only slightly increased steam level on the tailpipe. Then over a period of sufficient time, the coolant level is found to have dropped ...

I believe dealerships or other service points can make pressure tests on the coolant circuit, maybe they can do this with a warm engine and can look for small leaks.
Corsa E - 1.4T
MY 2016

Fishy23

Post by Fishy23 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:33 pm

The George
Yep that's what an old techie neighbour said but he thought it would show white vapour, well it used to in the cold weather three months ago but I asked the dealer to check and he said all ok. But I'm taking it into the dealer tomorrow.

Susan44

Post by Susan44 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:43 pm

if it was out of warranty I would use Holts Radweld. Used to be standard application after an engine build.
1.4 Auto SE

Fishy23

Post by Fishy23 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:19 pm

Trouble is Susan I'm not sure if it's the rad, this motor had a turbo which is water cooled so the leaks could be in that the head, water pump etc etc. I'm taking it in tomorrow as I'm sure with it being just over one year old it'll have warranty left on it. One curious thing though the header tank cap just screws around it doesn't lock down tight but this might be normal ?

FirestoneDK

Post by FirestoneDK » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:23 pm

The engine has an water cooled oil cooler which can begin to leak too.

No. 4 on this picture

Return to “Faults & Technical”