Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner

re: Gearbox problem with my Corsa 1.4 Energy

14K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Susan44 
#1 ·
Bought my near new (16 reg) Larva Red Corsa 1.4 Energy with only 7090 miles, cash with my Debit Card on 23/03/18 and only picked it up to drive home on the 26/03/18. All went well till the following day when I heard a metallic grinding sound coming from the front. I then took it to my local garage to where by then the grinding noise had disappeared. The disc pads and the discs were checked for wear and damage, to where I was informed that they were in good condition. After leaving the car on the drive for 3 whole days, I decided to go for a spin and do some shopping, and as son as the car started to move, I heard a very loud bang, which I thought was coming from the rear brakes. After inspection, I tried again without hearing anymore bang or noise whatsoever, but I later reported it to the Vauxhall dealership, who told me to bring the car in, which I did 3 days later. After checking the car, they told me that a new gear selector has to be ordered and that I should leave the car with them for 2 days, to which I had no option but to agree. So the day after their "good news", intuition told me to check on the Net if there was a problem with Corsa gearboxes, and to my shock there seems to be a major problem. I then decided to contact the dealership, to tell them what I found out on the Net and that I want for my money to be fully returned plus a bit more for my inconvenience. I was told that the head man of the Vauxhall dealership will contact me on Monday, today being Saturday. I will let all of you know what happens on Monday.

See less See more
#2 ·
All cars have their faults and niggles, even new ones. Regardless of manufacturer.

I guarantee any car you look at, if you google common faults there will be a list as long as your arm about the problems with them. Even the more reliable German and Asian brands.

You have to bear in mind that posts online will always be negative more often than not... people don't go posting up to say how reliable their car has been :lol: and for every 1 person that's had a problem a 1000 won't have.

You say the problem was with the gear selector, did they say what the problem actually was? Might not be anything wrong with the box internally if it's what I'm thinking it is.

Given how short a time you've had the car you might be able to get your money back but I think your just outside of the 14 day cooling off period now. They have also fixed the problem, which you have to give them chance to do, before demanding a refund for not fit for purpose. If it pops off/goes again then you have a bit more of a case. But think you'd be fighting an uphill battle trying to get them to give you a refund on the car now.

If your otherwise happy with it why not just keep it? Car is still under warranty for a good 1-2 years?

I've not had any issues with mine so far but I was aware before I bought it that the gearboxes on them are a weak point and can give trouble. I only knew this because I had a Corsa D VXR a few years ago and that went and got replaced under warranty and from reading online like you have.

But with this one I've had no issues. The main issue with them was no oil was getting to the main bearing in them, so eventually the box would go bang/seize up. I believe they have revised the bell housing on them now to prevent or try to prevent that problem.

#6 ·
You have up to 30 days to reject a vehicle for a full reimbursement under the Consumer Rights Act.

After that, the dealership has one chance and one chance only to repair the vehicle, otherwise you can reject up to 6 months after purchase.

If there is a known fault, I.e. Like the Zafira catching fire saga, then you have up to 6 years! Naturally,mthe dealer will make a deduction for mileage accrued,mouth this is typically around 40p per mile.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/the-second-hand-car-i-bought-has-a-problem-what-are-my-rights

#7 ·
kairouan said:
as son as the car started to move, I heard a very loud bang, which I thought was coming from the rear brakes. After inspection, I tried again without hearing anymore bang or noise whatsoever,
There were some reports that the parking break can sometimes 'stick'. Not sure if it applies to every engine (some have drums on the rear, others disks).
If this was the case, you would feel a slight tug and a 'clunk' sound from the rear wheels when first trying to move the car. As the breaks are now 'unstuck', you will not hear/feel it until they stick again (for example: few days of not moving, humid conditions, etc)

#8 ·
My rear drums were sticking badly in the recent rubbish frozen salty weather after a couple of days parked on the drive. Several mornings of massive "bangs" to get going.
If you don't mind the "gong" sounding you can drive for 5 seconds with the handbrake pulled on hard to rub the crap off. Keep your thumb on the button and do 5 seconds on, 10 seconds off, half a dozen times. No more! It seems more effective than normal braking for some reason.
Its at that that point you also find out that as an emergency brake it is useless, unlike my previous 2 litre Vectra that could lock the back wheels with its disk plus drum setup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.