Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner

Engine overheating when idle

32K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Drdonrman 
#1 ·
Hi. New to the forum. I have a problem with my Corsa E 1.4 Turbo. Recently the car started overheating when idle but when I started to drive off, within 10 seconds the car would go back to normal temperature as the cold air flowed through the radiator. I've connected the fan to the battery and the fan does work. I took out the Coolant Temperature sensor and put the paperclip in each end of the connector but the fan didn't come on. The relays and fuses are fine. Does the Corsa E 1.4 Turbo 14 plate have a fan switch on the radiator?

#2 ·
Got the same engine, and in the summer (with warm engine), the radiator fan is running a lot, even when idle (I do like my AC on :) ).

If the engine temperature goes above 4 bars (or above 90 deg.C) on idle, I'd say there's something fishy going on with the fan switch (donno' if the switch is on the radiator itself, sorry).

Also (eye) check the coolant level in the expansion tank (is near the bonnet clip): should be orange-y fluid, with the level around the mid-seam of its vessel. Too low, or off-color fluid, then there is potential of something else going on as well.

#3 ·
Thanks for the response mate. Checked the coolant and it seems fine. The relay isn't dead but maybe could be faulty? Is there any way of checking that the problem isn't with the coolant temperature sensor or the thermostat? How would I check the fan switch for being the problem? I don't know if it's related but when I have the air con on the car starts to idle rough. Not sure if it could ve connected. Any ideas?

#10 ·
liverpaul said:
i have the same an my car is due a coolant replacement so could be the same for you maybe? im a sri 1.4t
You still having the same problem mate? Mine hasn't done it for a while but then yesterday it started overheating at idle so I turned the engine off and then turned it back on and the fan kicked in at full speed. Wierd!

#12 ·
Nathan

Check your fuse 30a and 40a in the fuse box and maybe there's a blown fuse and if it's all well then it's coolant temp sensor botton left. If not then it's the thermostat

I had a blown 40a fuse at 29k and 1k later
The same issue again blown fuse

I had the rad replaced

So I myself need to do that one by one starting with the temp sensor which costs £15-20

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.