Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner

Corrosion on alloy wheels

15K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  devon556 
#1 ·
So i went to wash my car yesterday and on closer inspection, I've found slight evidence of corrosion forming on the front two alloy wheels, for a car thats done fairly low mileage i'm not impressed.

#5 ·
Marksparks said:
depending on how old the wheels are, and any other damage i would challenge the dealer... if they are chipped or curbed, then i think you wil have to stump up and refurb yourself... costs about £40 a corner done right
The car has just turned 4 years old, The previous owner did have one chip mark on the rear wheel, which upon me taking ownership was quickly repaired under paintwork warranty. As far as I know the rest of the wheels have never been damaged.

#6 ·
Are the rims pressure washed when the car is cleaned as this accelerates corrosion

Least you had 4 years when i got my car only 10 months old from registration from main dealer I discovered that three of the wheels had been resprayed due to previous damage before i bought the car

The lacquer was peeling so when I took it to the body shop they pointed out that the finished was different on three of the 4 wheels.

The main dealer agreed to re do all the wheels but it took two attempts as the first was poor. Upon recent inspection the lacquer is peeling again on one of the alloys but as i had the wheels were resprayed around 18 months ago they won't do it for free now as only gave 12 months on the respray

#7 ·
Rickardo said:
Are the rims pressure washed when the car is cleaned as this accelerates corrosion

Least you had 4 years when i got my car only 10 months old from registration from main dealer I discovered that three of the wheels had been resprayed due to previous damage before i bought the car

The lacquer was peeling so when I took it to the body shop they pointed out that the finished was different on three of the 4 wheels.

The main dealer agreed to re do all the wheels but it took two attempts as the first was poor. Upon recent inspection the lacquer is peeling again on one of the alloys but as i had the wheels were resprayed around 18 months ago they won't do it for free now as only gave 12 months on the respray
Pressure washing won't accelerate corrosion, the corrosion comes from rainwater, sea air, salt and ice.

That is pretty bad for a 10 month old car, but there must be a reason the lacquer keeps peeling, would it not be easier to go to a scrapyard or ebay and buy like for like replacements?

I'm more coming to the opinion its a dodgy repsray rather than corrosion, I need to give the wheels a good clean when I get around to it and then I can assess it better, unfortunately I've got the awful cold that' going around at the minute.

#9 ·
Right guys, sorry it's taken ages to upload but here are the photos. I managed to give the wheels a good clean yesterday and took some photos. One photo shows like a slight discolouration compared to the rest of the paint. The other one looks like a scratch that's been resprayed. obviously corrosion has a more bubbling look to it, but I wanted the forum's opinion.

Attachments

#13 ·
Bogbrush said:
Those two pictures look like ageing smart repairs to me. Corrosion on alloy wheels manifests itself with nasty bubbles under the paintwork (just like rust in a steel body) and the corrosion will rub off as a white powder.
Thanks, it was hard brake dust in the end. I applied a generous amount of Autoglym magma and most of it came off, a little bit of polish and its all gone.

#15 ·
bones85 said:
For a 3 year old car
And the Alloy wheels for already look like that. Feels like is so cheaply quickly made Friday afternoon car.
It looks like you've had a stone chip into the paintwork which has caused the surrounding area to flake off, but I do agree VX's paint is cheap and too thin. The amount of stone chips on my bonnet, front and rear bumpers are ridiculous, especially since she hasn't even done that many miles.

#17 ·
bones85 said:
Hey
Yeah probably as I drive a lot of back roads to get to work, I really didn't think
But i did have an accident back in July some kind person just side swipe me roundabout
But it's just so cheap with only 40000 on the clock
🤔
To be honest 40k miles isn't bad, you might be able to get a paint touch up repair to sort it out for now, i've had a few stone chips on mine and they sorted it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.