Strange mechanical sound near air filter housing

Faults and Technical chat for the Corsa E
odin3

Strange mechanical sound near air filter housing

Post by odin3 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:24 am

Hi
For the last few weeks on my 64 plate 1.4 SE automatic I have been hearing a strange mechanical buzzing sound coming from the drivers side of the engine.

Sometimes I even hear it when I turn the ignition key but before I start the engine but not all the time. I hear it when the engine is running, the sound is intermittent and seems to happen more when the engine is cold or when first driving for about 5 minutes.

It seems to be coming from the air filter housing, I have managed to record the sound as you can bet when I take it to the dealer for them to check it the sound won't occur. I does seem to be getting more frequent though.

The car has only done 5,500 miles since January 2015. Also have an annoying rattle from the rear passenger door since the wiring recall in January 2016, but not straight after. They did break the inside door handle and haven't fixed it yet.

paulg60

Re: Strange mechanical sound near air filter housing

Post by paulg60 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:02 pm

This could be the same noise we get intermittently in our Corsa which is a 1.0T 115 which has a 6 speed manual gearbox.

It is a buzzing sound from the engine compartment which mostly occurs when the car has just been started and mostly tends to go when it has warmed up, but not always.

I have listened to the sound with the bonnet up and it seems to be loudest near the battery area.

It has not become any worse over the last couple of months and I will mention it to the dealer when we have the next service.

Jarviser

Post by Jarviser » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:34 pm

Fuel pump starts up for a few seconds before the engine fires and is intermittent.

odin3

Post by odin3 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:03 pm

Thanks for your replies, do you think it's anything to worry about, should I take it to the dealer for them to look at?

paulg60

Post by paulg60 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:28 am

It would be advisable to mention this to the dealer.

It may be nothing serious but it is always best to investigate unusual noises.

It may be the fuel pump but could be something else.

If you find out what is causing this it would be good if you could post the information on the forum.

i will do likewise if I solve the source of the buzzing on my car.

odin3

Post by odin3 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:21 am

Thanks Paulg60 will do.

jjay1815

Post by jjay1815 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:25 pm

Interested if you got to the bottom of this. I have the1.4 and typically just out of warranty there is now a buzz/rubbing noise ntermittently from the rear of the engine compartment on drivers side but it's hard to pinpoint so my local mech isn't sure what it is.

Bogbrush

Post by Bogbrush » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:10 pm

It will not be the fuel pump as that sits inside the fuel tank at the back of the car!!
2018 1.4T

Return to “Faults & Technical”