clutdh judder

Faults and Technical chat for the Corsa E
alexmf

Re: clutdh judder

Post by alexmf » Mon May 14, 2018 9:04 am

This has been apparent on every Corsa I've driven. At first I thought it was a fault, now I know it is an unfortunate consequence of the design. There is a small inspection windows so that the clutch friction surface can be inspected without removing the bell housing. Unfortunately the opening exposes the clutch to atmospheric conditions so that, when the air is especially damp and the clutch is cold, condensation forms on the friction surface and small areas of rust can form. The juddering that you experience when first setting off is this small layer of rust being ground away. You'll notice that it disappears after you've used the clutch a few times (depending on how much you slip it).
Hope this helps

Alex
2016 Corsa E SRi1.4 (90) Sovereign Silver

Rickardo

Re: clutdh judder

Post by Rickardo » Mon May 14, 2018 4:19 pm

alexmf wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:04 am
This has been apparent on every Corsa I've driven. At first I thought it was a fault, now I know it is an unfortunate consequence of the design. There is a small inspection windows so that the clutch friction surface can be inspected without removing the bell housing. Unfortunately the opening exposes the clutch to atmospheric conditions so that, when the air is especially damp and the clutch is cold, condensation forms on the friction surface and small areas of rust can form. The juddering that you experience when first setting off is this small layer of rust being ground away. You'll notice that it disappears after you've used the clutch a few times (depending on how much you slip it).
Hope this helps

Alex
Interesting as I get it sometimes in mine although i did get in the Astra H I owned previously.

I put it down to the materials used since asbestos was banned from clutch linings

Return to “Faults & Technical”