Corsa E 1.4T - Seeking advice for ECU remapping?

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
aafonti

Corsa E 1.4T - Seeking advice for ECU remapping?

Post by aafonti » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:02 am

Hi everyone,

I bought my Corsa E 1.4T back in late 2015 and can safely say that it is definitely one of the funnest cars I've ever driven. I've read a lot about how good the engine is, and definitely agree that it's great and has potential.

I've always loved the VXR, but financially, it wouldn't make sense for me to upgrade to that yet. So, I figured it would be a good move to look into ECU remapping, and see how this can dramatically improve performance and efficiency of the engine. Now, I'm a complete novice, and I have never taken any car for an ECU remap, so I'm not really sure what it entails. I was hoping someone may be able to advise me on some basic points or things to consider or maybe even recommend some places to go.

I look forward to any advice given! :D

Ant

P.S : Also posted this in the main chat...still getting used to the layout of the forum!
Corsa E 1.4T
100PS
Limited Edition Spec

mattb_srivx

Re: Corsa E 1.4T - Seeking advice for ECU remapping?

Post by mattb_srivx » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:26 am

There are loads of companies that offer remapping. All depends where you're based?

This company seems to have done a few of these and gets good results... https://www.facebook.com/SGRremaps/ based in manchester.

They've done a few of these now and all seem to come out with around 170bhp which is a very impressive jump from the stock power and in fairness it would probably give a stock VXR a good run for it's money at that sort of power.

Another company I've heard of is Quantum tuning, someone on here had theirs done at their Kirkham branch (I think they're a franchise so have them all over the country?) and they got 160-170bhp too from them.

Whatever you choose make sure it's done on a rolling road and done properly.
Corsa 1.4 TURBO

aafonti

Post by aafonti » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:01 am

Hi,

Thanks mattb_srivx for the advice! I'm actually based in North London, so a few of your options there seem rather far away but they certainly give me an idea of what the car is capable of! Maybe I'll drop them an email. I'm sure I've seen Quantum tuning somewhere....

Is there anything else you'd recommend upgrading on the car if I'm to get the ECU remapped? Aside from trading in for a VXR!
Corsa E 1.4T
100PS
Limited Edition Spec

mattb_srivx

Post by mattb_srivx » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:56 am

No problem.

The car should be able to handle the jump in power. It's something I'm probably going to get done on mine once the warranty has run out or is close to running out :lol:

You could look at a set of Eibach 30mm springs to help firm up the handling without ruining the ride quality or practicality of getting over speed humps. Then you could look at the tyres, often overlooked by many! I don't find the factory fit continentals that great and I'd probably go for something like Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's which seem to get rave reviews once they are due to be changed.
Corsa 1.4 TURBO

aafonti

Post by aafonti » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:43 am

Just took a look at the those springs + tyres, definitely good options!

I definitely can't do it all at once, but its something to look forward to and save up for over the next year or two. I checked earlier and found a Quantum Tuning authorised place half a mile away so I'm going to pop in and see what they think. the website predicts up to 170hp so that would be a huge increase which sounds exciting.....

Its funny because I feel like I rarely see 1.4T on the road, but on this forum, everyone seems to have one! Fantastic car.
Corsa E 1.4T
100PS
Limited Edition Spec

mattb_srivx

Post by mattb_srivx » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:25 pm

A remap is defiantly on the cards for me at some point. I've always had hot hatches previously with 200-250bhp but with buying my first house last year I needed to get something newer and more sensible. It's nice knowing I can get 160-170bhp out of it and should hopefully keep me entertained for a bit longer.

The new Corsa seems to be quite popular up here in Lancashire. I see a LOT of the not so limited editions :lol:

See quite a few driving around here in fairness. A lot seem to be just the normal SRi without the body kit mind. Probably because of the cheaper tax bracket they fall in with no body kit!
Corsa 1.4 TURBO

aafonti

Post by aafonti » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:23 am

I will definitely upgrade to a proper hatchback at some point, it's just that insurance companies really don't like hot hatches in London! I'm about to get my 5 years no claims so hopefully that will help. Besides, I need to look into getting a property so probably having a hot hatch isn't the best option!
Corsa E 1.4T
100PS
Limited Edition Spec

mattb_srivx

Post by mattb_srivx » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:44 am

Buying a hot hatch isn't the problem it's all the other added costs of running something fancy. Tax is usually more, insurance is more, they're not as good on fuel and parts are more expensive at service time. All adds up over the year. I couldn't justify owning one any more when I needed to buy a house. Ran the numbers and it was just bleeding out too much money every month.

I honestly think my next car will be all electric once the manufactures crack 200-250 mile range in something affordable. My mates got a gen 2 Nissan Leaf and it's actually pretty nippy. He put it on a dyno for a laugh and it made almost 200 lb ft torque and pulled that consistently all the way to max speed. The only reason I didn't go for one this time round is the current Leafs have a real world range of about 70-80miles. I don't have off street parking or access to a charge point at work so it would be a massive ball ache for me having to try find somewhere to charge it every 2-3 days. But as I say once they crack the 200-250mile range that would do me for probably a week+ so wouldn't be as much of an issue then. Would love a Tesla as a daily but sadly they're a bit out of my budget :lol:

Tesla for a daily and a nice 600-1000cc sports bike to satisfy my petrol head needs at the weekends lol.
Corsa 1.4 TURBO

aafonti

Post by aafonti » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:30 pm

Hey mattb_srivx!

Long time since I looked at this!

Did you ever get your Corsa 1.4T re-mapped?!
Corsa E 1.4T
100PS
Limited Edition Spec

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”