The demise of On Star

Post by Susan44 » Tue May 08, 2018 10:56 pm

Got this email today...

OnStar
IMPORTANT NOTICE
ONSTAR SERVICES AND WI-FI ENDING
31ST DECEMBER 2020
Hello Susan,
In August 2017, Groupe PSA bought the Opel and Vauxhall car brands from General Motors. OnStar Europe Limited was not part of this purchase and continues to be a subsidiary of General Motors.

So, as a result of this change of ownership, OnStar services and Wi-Fi services enabled by the OnStar connection (if available in your country) will cease to be available for Vauxhall cars on 31st December 2020.

We understand you might be concerned that this will affect your OnStar service, but if you have a paid subscription OnStar will continue to give you the same exceptional service and peace of mind right up until that date.

What happens next?

You don't have to do anything. If you have any questions or just want to know a bit more, we've put together a Customer Questions & Answers page here.

We'll be in touch as soon as we have further updates for you.

Sincerely,

Brian McCreavy
Managing Director, OnStar Europe
OnStar services are subject to mobile network coverage and availability.

This email was sent by OnStar Europe Ltd, Luton HQ & Training Centre, Osborne Rd, Luton, Bedfordshire, LU1 3YT, UK1-151-150
Registered in England & Wales No.08582207. VAT Reg No. GB170 0812 43

Please do not respond to this email. ....
1.4 Auto SE. Intellilink R3.0 software version 109.0-39112275 :geek:

srihaggis

Re: The demise of On Star

Post by srihaggis » Wed May 09, 2018 11:02 pm

Yes we got the same email and i'm quite disgusted by this, however, reading into it a bit I read that all new cars (from 2017 I think as part of an EU legislation) need to be supplied with an emergency call system, so I suspect that whatever system PSA have, will start to be rolled out into the VX range once OnStar is defunct at the end of 2020.

What I haven't managed to work out as yet, is weather the current OnStar hardware will work with whatever PSA use.

From where i'm standing, it's very frustrating to say the least. Our OnStar has not worked in our car for 3 months solid anyway; it's booked in for next weekend to be looked at, but now I wonder if it's worth bothering with getting it fixed at all!
MY16 1.4 Auto Energy 5 door Persian Blue, OnStar & Intellilink 4.0.

Alexellas

Post by Alexellas » Thu May 10, 2018 10:22 pm

Got the same frustrating email today and I wonder why couldn't they come to a more amicable solution for the continuity of OnStar on Opels/Vauxhalls.

To be honest, one reason why I bought this car was the On Star system which makes me feel safer especially when my wife's on the wheel and my little daughter in the back. I was really planning to keep paying for this service after the trial period but now I know there will be an expiration date. Shame...

And really. Isn't there a legal issue in this?
You buy a car that has a feature on it that you have paid for initially with the promise that you will continue to enjoy this feature with no expiration date as long as you keep paying for it of course. And then, after you've bought it you learn that there is actually an expiration date. Wtf

Maybe I feel a deeper disappointment because the car is still new (4 months), I don't know. :(
Opel Corsa Attraction 2018 - 1.4 90hp petrol

Susan44

Post by Susan44 » Thu May 10, 2018 11:49 pm

It never impressed me because the Vodafone SIM in the onstar box never gave me even a 2g signal in the places I frequent like North Norfolk. Their "superb signal from the external antenna" in the end is no better than a mobile phone.
Communicating with the call centre staff over a dodgy connection was frustrating.
There were features advertised on early adverts like navigation downloads that we didnt get either because the Corsa with R3 doesnt have a nav system. Could we sue them? Nah. The small print covered it.

srihaggis

Post by srihaggis » Fri May 11, 2018 8:38 pm

Where is the sim card kept? i haven't looked for it but may have a tinker with it if it's going to be obsolete kit.
R4 doesn't even allow nav downloads....
MY16 1.4 Auto Energy 5 door Persian Blue, OnStar & Intellilink 4.0.

Susan44

Post by Susan44 » Sun May 13, 2018 11:49 pm

It may not even be a physical sim card as we know it. All I know is they use Vodafone signal and sim cards would seem the most likely method. It could be firmware though.

Return to “Main Corsa E chat”