Air Con refill....

Faults and Technical chat for the Corsa E
motusman

Air Con refill....

Post by motusman » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:41 pm

Good afternoon....

I bought my 2017 Corsa (used) in late January, the previous owner was Hertz and the mileage was 13000....

I've been taking advantage of the air con but it doesn't seem very cold so not knowing how much was left I went to my local garage for a refill...they couldn't do it because the gas was a different make..they said I need 1234....which means bog all to me....

So I phoned my local VX dealer and asked for a quote...they said it could be up to £150 depending on how much it needs....that is three times the average price provided by other providers....but I wasn't really that surprised...

I have 2 questions....

1. Is there much difference between VX gas and that from other providers, and 2. will it invalidate my warranty in any way?

A mechanic friend of mine said he had heard that Vauxhall rarely supply a new car with a full air con tank..don't know whether this is true but I have no idea how much is left..

Anyone any knowledge about this please?

Cheers :P

2017 Corsa Design Ecoflex 1.4 Petrol 5 Door

DarrenKC53

Re: Air Con refill....

Post by DarrenKC53 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:24 pm

It’s R1234YF air con gas for modern cars

It shouldn’t be that the gas has run out, if it isn’t cold and needs gas it’s escaped somewhere either from a leak or suchlike

My 65 plate Corsa had to have a new condenser (along with rad and inter cooler) last June after some stray wildlife caused damage to the front end, the invoice showed a cost of £45 for the air con gas, although I’m sure they’d charge more if that was the only work they were doing and not part of other work. This was a VX garage that did the work.

You need to work out why the gas has escaped as it doesn’t get used up through normal use of the system

timbo56

Post by timbo56 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:49 pm

I Just found out today that the new gas (1234 stuff) costs over double what the old stuff is (something like £1500 a bottle) and all cars after 2014 are supposed to use it though some don't. So don't be surprised if it's expensive to get it regassed. One other point is that a 2017 car shouldn't need to be regassed so there must be a fault. I have a 20 year old Toyota that is still on the original gas and have had a Renault that needed doing every three months due to a leak. Apparently the price of air con gas has rocketed lately so don't expect it to be as cheap as it used to be.

motusman

Post by motusman » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:58 pm

Thanks DarrenKC53 for the reply and explanation, looks like a visit to my local dealer is in order..I'll see if I can get it sorted under warranty...

timbo56...wow, I bet you're pleased with the toyota..:)

Does anyone know what the temperature is thrown out by the aircon? I was in a mates japanese car a few years ago and when he had it on i got goosebumps and felt bloody cold ....mine is nowhere as cold :(

DarrenKC53

Post by DarrenKC53 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:28 pm

I've never measured the temperature but mine is very cold. A day like today it gets too cold after a while and you have to adjust.

My dads fiesta is the same when set to low (climate control in that) although it takes longer to get that cold.

motusman

Post by motusman » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:39 pm

I'm going to run the aircon and take the temp of the flow....even after 10 minutes it's not what I would call cold.....maybe I need longer..I'll let you know lol :)

Rickardo

Post by Rickardo » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:48 pm

If you are running Air Con make sure the blower is in forward position and press the recirculation button that way you are not drawing in hot air from outside

Jammers

Post by Jammers » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:24 pm

Rickardo wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:48 pm
If you are running Air Con make sure the blower is in forward position and press the recirculation button that way you are not drawing in hot air from outside
For the first few minutes the air outside will be colder than the air inside.

Officina red

Post by Officina red » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:00 pm

Rickardo wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:48 pm
I tried that today and it does feel cooler, thanks for the tip

Sprout

Post by Sprout » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:36 pm

My car is only 4 months old from new... So deffo not in need of a service, also the aircon is set in fan 1 position with aircon on a lot of the time to keep all components lubricated.

The car has been looked at by a dealership today and it appears that the AirCon was only gassed to1/4 full !!! told by the dealer "no wonder its not getting that cold"... this is pretty much standard procedure for Vauxhall, they put in just enough at factory to get the system working, but this means the system will not chill to max potential... I think this is poor because if you pay extra for a higher spec car to get AirCon, then it should work correctly... especially when all new vehicle now have to use a more expensive gas to keep the environment safer... so the consumer has to get this topped up after purchase to get the system to work properly.... The garage ran the AC with temp monitor in the car and the coolest it went down to was 18... after it was gassed it dropped to 14.5

Return to “Faults & Technical”