New Corsa minus AUX port...

Audio, Navigation, Electronic
Leesylou80

New Corsa minus AUX port...

Post by Leesylou80 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:45 pm

I have just picked up my new 2018 motability Corsa 1.4 automatic and whilst its lovely and shiny and new, I miss the Aux port! Yes, I have Bluetooth but I have a high def music player that I've always used and I'd hoped I could connect somehow. I've tried to connect the player to USB but then i can't use the USB for Android Auto etc. I also have tried to connect both phone and device by Bluetooth but I can't seem to get the 2 at the same time.

Does anyone know a way around this? Can I have music from the high def player AND use the intelli screen for Android Auto?

Why did they have to get rid of this?! Its so small....

TheGeorge

Re: New Corsa minus AUX port...

Post by TheGeorge » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:54 am

If you play the music through the car system, then any Hy-Def part will be limited in quality by the car itself. So you basically get nothing 'extra' if you use the player, outside of familiarity with the player controls (think the intelilink also has a audio equalizer in the options you can tune a bit if you need to)

Thus, one workaround (maybe not ideal, but...) may be:

1. Download the music into the Android Auto/CarPlay phone (I tested in .mp3 format) - phones with larger internal storage are better here :)
2. Connect and start the Android auto/CarPlay (my phone AA's only works if I connect it to the car with original cable, while the car key is not in the ignition)
3. Start car radio/audio (any way)
4. change audio source to USB (I sometimes use the toggle on the steering wheel labeled "src"; other times I minimize AA with 'return to opel' option and go to Audio icon to manually press the 'usb' source)
5. you should now have both your favorite tracks AND android auto / carplay running

also when navigation tells you something, it will interrupt the music for you to hear better and pay more attention.
Corsa E - 1.4T
MY 2016

Leesylou80

Post by Leesylou80 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:32 pm

Hi!

Thank you for your reply. I will give this a go and hopefully can get it to work. I know that the processing reduces the quality of hi-def audio but maybe it won't be too bad. I have a Samsung S8+ so can stick a pretty big capacity microSD in it and fill it up. I just didn't want to be forced into doing so! But I imagine its something I will get used to. And given how much I love my "Smurfmobile" already, I'm sure it is something I'll get used to! (The "false storage" compartment where the spare tyre should be is another thing to get used to but that is just from a practical sense!!)

Many thanks :-)

StockwellElectrics

Post by StockwellElectrics » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:53 pm

For anyone interested, here are photographs of what is inside the USB module (no auxiliary socket) that came paired with an R4 head unit.

component-side.jpg

solder-side.jpg

It appears to me that the board accommodates a 3.5 mm jack, next to the USB socket, and its contacts would be connected, via inductors (?) to pins of the multi-plug socket, at the opposite end of the circuit board.

On the car, only two pins of the multi-plug were wired. I guess these are just a power supply, enabling the USB socket to deliver more charging current, for your phone, than the head unit, through (what looks like) the mini-USB socket beside the multi-plug one, can. Unfortunately, I didn't take a voltage reading.

The fact most of the component side is covered by a shield suggests the board is supposed to do some signal processing, but, checking from the solder side, few, if any, components are present, certainly not the IC with the QR code ("Label1") over its pin holes.

I'm wondering whether the version with the auxiliary socket also had an RCA phono socket, for composite video, on the opposite side of the USB socket from the 3.5 mm jack. If so, I think the analogue video would need to be digitized, and multiplexed with the USB socket on the Universal Serial Bus.

In conclusion, any after-market upgrade would need to convert any additional interface to the Universal Serial Bus format, and the head unit would require an appropriate (software) driver to make use of the signal. The car is not wired for analogue audio input, via the module, and hence the upgrade would need to convert any analogue audio input to digital.

Anything I've written here may be corrected by someone who knows more about this!

devon556

Post by devon556 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:24 pm

Just plug this into the USB socket and then plug your aux into that?

2015 Corsa SE 1.4 90PS Automatic.

dmoggy

Post by dmoggy » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:03 pm

Apart from being one of the most expensive adapters available, I believe this is designed to work the other way round, i.e headphone output (from PC). This is as stated in the Amazon listing: "Not compatible with USB ports on car audio systems".
I'm still trying to find a way out of this "non-aux" problem, other than ditching my old iPod Nano and getting a new one with USB, which should then work with the built-in CarPlay system on my 18-reg Ltd Edn