Time to Give Her a Clean

The place to discuss everything else..
big-fish28

Time to Give Her a Clean

Post by big-fish28 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:39 pm

Does anyone know of any decent car care products? I'm not huge into detailing or anything however recently I've been a bit sick of putting so much effort into cleaning her and not getting the result I want. Looking for something which will make my pride and joy look like it's fresh out of a car show.

I've heard good brands are Chemical Guys, Autoglym, Bilt Hamber, 3m, and Armor All. Any more suggestions?

Any responses appreciated!

big-fish28

Re: Time to Give Her a Clean

Post by big-fish28 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:59 am

Well not much response but for anyone who cares I bought some autoglym shampoo from the rac shop (from here https://www.racshop.co.uk/autoglym?) which works a treat, definitely going to become more of a car detailer now haha :) The corsa looks brand new.

john002

Post by john002 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:58 am

That will shampoo your car OK, But if you want to detail it to a show room shine you will have to do a lot more than that .

"Google" Detail your car, there are loads of products to use and how to do it.

This ones good, Fifth Gear Detailing Car Wash 5k

Good luck
2015 Corsa E 1.4i 90PS ecoFLEX Excite (AC) , 3 Door, Shiny Rocks (Wifes)
2018 Golf SE, NAV 1:5 5 door Red (Mine )

bradleylawrence_

Post by bradleylawrence_ » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:58 pm

Auto Finesse do some amazing products, always brings out a deep reflection and shine on my paintwork!

IMG_1684.jpg

big-fish28

Post by big-fish28 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:06 pm

Yeah I've been told to try out some Auto Finesse products actually! I'll look into getting some for my next was - know of any good places to buy them?

So far though this Autoglym shampoo has been great, really worked a charm on the ol' Corsa!

bradleylawrence_

Post by bradleylawrence_ » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:48 pm

I buy it through my friends modification shop in Hertfordshire, but best place is probably just on Auto Finesse’s website.

mattb_srivx

Post by mattb_srivx » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:52 pm

Honestly, it depends how much you want to spend, how through of a job you want to do and how much time you have to do it.
All of the brands you mention are good, as to which is the best is a matter of opinion really.

Autogylm stuff is good for a mainstream brand and Halfords sometimes have 3 for 2 offers on their car cleaning stuff which isn’t bad.
If you’re just starting out I’d go with the following:

1. Decent wash mitt, lamb’s wool ones are good.
2. Bucket with grit guard.
3. Drying towel, microfiber cloths and buffing towel (can never have too many).
4. Microfiber and foam applicator pads (for polish and wax application).
5. Shampoo.
6. Polish, AG Super Resin Polish is nice to use by hand.
7. Wax or Sealant. I've got some Poorboys wax which is nice, goes on easy and isn't too harsh to buff off.
8. Alloy wheel cleaner and maybe a brush.
9. Tyre shine.

If you want to de-contaminate the surface before the polish and sealant stage you want to look at some fallout remover such as Iron X and a clay bar kit.

You could also look into machine polishing, but a decent one with all the pads and polish will probably set you back about £150-£200.
https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/ and http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/ are two good websites for products and advice.
Corsa SRi-VXLine 1.4T

big-fish28

Post by big-fish28 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:32 am

mattb_srivx wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:52 pm
Honestly, it depends how much you want to spend, how through of a job you want to do and how much time you have to do it.
All of the brands you mention are good, as to which is the best is a matter of opinion really.

Autogylm stuff is good for a mainstream brand and Halfords sometimes have 3 for 2 offers on their car cleaning stuff which isn’t bad.
If you’re just starting out I’d go with the following:

1. Decent wash mitt, lamb’s wool ones are good.
2. Bucket with grit guard.
3. Drying towel, microfiber cloths and buffing towel (can never have too many).
4. Microfiber and foam applicator pads (for polish and wax application).
5. Shampoo.
6. Polish, AG Super Resin Polish is nice to use by hand.
7. Wax or Sealant. I've got some Poorboys wax which is nice, goes on easy and isn't too harsh to buff off.
8. Alloy wheel cleaner and maybe a brush.
9. Tyre shine.

If you want to de-contaminate the surface before the polish and sealant stage you want to look at some fallout remover such as Iron X and a clay bar kit.

You could also look into machine polishing, but a decent one with all the pads and polish will probably set you back about £150-£200.
https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/ and http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/ are two good websites for products and advice.
Hey Matt, thanks a bunch for this! I've just been using a few bits and pieces borrowed from my dad for washes up until now, but it's great to have a list of the essentials here - definitely have more to add to my shopping list for next time haha

I've actually not used wax before but some of the videos I've seen on YouTube of people using it show absolutely godly results so I'll definitely have to invest in some of that.

Alloy and wheel cleaner is a big one for me as my alloys are white - absolute pain in the backside to keep clean but stunning when they're well looked after.

Thanks once again!

Rickardo

Post by Rickardo » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:32 pm

I use AG super resin polish masks the fine paint scratches but they return once it's washed

Once it's polished give it a quick coat of Auto Finesse wax

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”