Engine Management Light

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Timbo

Engine Management Light

Post by Timbo » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:21 am

Morning all,

Just returned from holiday in Cornwall where the EML came on twice in 5 days, the AA came out and looked at it as the message was ‘running lean’ or similar and the bloke said it’s probably the oxygen sensor starting to fail.
Anyway it’s on again as it came on after a quick stop on the way home so I’m getting it looked at by the garage ASAP but in the meantime, is it ok to drive? Seems to be fine with regards to power and performance but don’t want to cause damage by using it.

Car is 1.4T sri vx line.

FirestoneDK

Re: Engine Management Light

Post by FirestoneDK » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:42 am

There are two oxygen/lambda sensors in a modern car. The first one adjusts the air to fuel mixture in the engine, and the seconds checks if the catalytic converter is doing the job its supposed to.
You ask if it is safe to drive, well that depends which of the sensors the fault code is about. If it is about the first one i would tell you only to drive it to a garage and not anymore than that.

Rickardo

Post by Rickardo » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:26 pm

That will be the malfunction Indicator light or emissions as it used to be called

If it remains solid when engine is running then fault is in the emission control system, if it flashes when engine runs could lead to catalytic convertor damage

The engine may seem fine but will be running in limp mode so you won't be to rev over 3500 rpm

Timbo

Post by Timbo » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:07 am

Vauxhall looked the fault yesterday.....turns out it’s to do with the recirculating of fumes from the petrol tank into the combustion cycle. There is a slight leak by a valve apparently so more air is getting in causing the fault light to appear (which had disappeared earlier in the week) and think that the mixture is too ‘lean’. But it’s ok to drive and no loss of power at all.

Mcdriving

Post by Mcdriving » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:03 pm

Hi i have had the same problem over the last 2 weeks. First we replaced the air filter, then the light come on again so changed the Map sensor that lasted 2 days. Also the traction control light come on. This was diagnosed as not communicating with the ECU . Went to Vauxhall and after testing it they said its the Throttle body sensor at £599 supply and fit. I went elsewhere and purchased a bosch throttle body £111 and all the faults cleared. However the EML has come back on and the engine is idling at 1000 rpm instead of 650.

Really puzzled what it can be now !

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”