Grinding noise when idle from engine bay

Faults and Technical chat for the Corsa E
starbuck95

Grinding noise when idle from engine bay

Post by starbuck95 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:39 am

Hello.

Got a 1.4 corsa energy petrol in manual. And this morning when starting the car for work I had a horrible on and off grinding noise from the engine bay when in idle it’s really hard to tell which area it’s comjng exactly but it don’t think it’s the gear box. Any advise would be appreciated. No warning lights. Drives fine. Could it be a belt?

TheGeorge

Re: Grinding noise when idle from engine bay

Post by TheGeorge » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:34 am

It could be a belt, yes, or a loose engine mounting, or something worse, like mechanical damage of some sort. Maybe it's just the cooling fan bearing on it's way to failure (and you hear it grinding when the fan is on).

In any case it needs a immediate visit to a service center, where a trained ear can pinpoint the location and tell you more exactly what's wrong.
Corsa E - 1.4T
MY 2016

starbuck95

Post by starbuck95 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:13 pm

TheGeorge wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:34 am
It could be a belt, yes, or a loose engine mounting, or something worse, like mechanical damage of some sort. Maybe it's just the cooling fan bearing on it's way to failure (and you hear it grinding when the fan is on).

In any case it needs a immediate visit to a service center, where a trained ear can pinpoint the location and tell you more exactly what's wrong.

Thanks for the reply. I’ve got booked to Vauxhall tonight for them to look at as it is still under warranty for a few months. I have a video of it doing fault but I don’t know how you put videos on here. I don’t think it’s the cooling fan because it wasn’t spinning when i was looking under the bonnet and it was making the noise.

Susan44

Post by Susan44 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:30 pm

put it on you tube and post the share link.
1.4 Auto SE. Intellilink R3.0 software version 109.0-39112275 :geek:

starbuck95

Post by starbuck95 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:50 pm

Its been at the dealer for 2 days now. They said they have checked out everything they suspect it could have been but couldn't get it to fault once after hours of checking, listening and road testing. Im picking it up tonight, hopefully it was just a 1 time thing as it only did it the 1 day and i took striaght to the dealer that night. Any further issues i'll keep you updated.

Return to “Faults & Technical”