The 1.4N/A Gearbox... this HUUUGE mistake

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Federico R.

The 1.4N/A Gearbox... this HUUUGE mistake

Post by Federico R. » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:01 pm

Hi all! First i present myself: I'm Federico, from Italy, and i'm an Opel (yeah, i know in UK you have Vauxhall :D ) Corsa E 1.4 N/A Petrol/LPG 66kw in Cosmo Version.

Now... since i brought the car, the baddest mistakes i think they commited in building it are: the weight, it's too fat to be a 4 meters hatchback... the Mazda 2 for example is a lot more lighter... and the gearbox... that DAMN gearbox! It's too short! Good for city yes, but it's the first time for me i'm able to go in 2nd gear from hold... The last time was with a FIAT Punto 75 that fo 20 years that had his gearbox never replaced, so it was also plausible, but this! My god... :(

Now, let me explain my diabolic plan: in the meantime, i just want to say you that i did read the post in this forum with the engine codes, and i can say that if B14XEL is the code of 1.4 N/A of 66kw, and B14XER is the code of 1.4 N/A of 74kw, i don't know how but in my circulation card my engine code is the B14XER :shock:
I just considered that Opel made is 1.4 Engine in a lot of different versions... from the N/A to the turbos... but i thought... the monoblock must be the same... the corsa has been fitted with the 1.4 turbo that has a manual 6 speed gearbox... so... may be possible to transplant a 6 speed of a 1.4 Turbo in my 1.4 N/A?
That 6th gear will help A LOT since i use the car in extra-urban and highways...
What do you think, somebody of you had the same idea or did it?
Thank you in advance

Federico

TheGeorge

Re: The 1.4N/A Gearbox... this HUUUGE mistake

Post by TheGeorge » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:14 pm

Mechanically, anything is possible.

But the car will drive worse than now

The 1.4T has lots more torque than the N/A. The gear box ratios made for the 1.4T will be difficult for the N/A engine to power properly.

You basically want another, stronger, engine. I suggest trading up to a 1.4 T (driving through winding roads in 3'rd gear between 40 - 120 km/h is very nice (once per 1-2 months :D) ), or one of the stronger diesels. Stay away from any of the 3 cylinders if you want relaxed, low RPM, driving.
Corsa E - 1.4T
MY 2016

Federico R.

Post by Federico R. » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:54 pm

TheGeorge wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:14 pm
Mechanically, anything is possible.

But the car will drive worse than now

The 1.4T has lots more torque than the N/A. The gear box ratios made for the 1.4T will be difficult for the N/A engine to power properly.

You basically want another, stronger, engine. I suggest trading up to a 1.4 T (driving through winding roads in 3'rd gear between 40 - 120 km/h is very nice (once per 1-2 months :D) ), or one of the stronger diesels. Stay away from any of the 3 cylinders if you want relaxed, low RPM, driving.
Hi George and thank you for the reply!
Actually i can't change the Car, it doesn't depends from me, but i just cant. I can just upgrade it... In fact starting from stock i'm working on pretty everything, starting from handling (New Brembo performance Brakes, Koni Orange with H&R springs, new 17 O.Z. Ultralight Rims with 215/45 Performance tyres), to the engine (camshaft light reprofiling, air filter, Ragazzon exhaust, and if i find something will also think to the exhaust manifold, than remap), excetera...
So we came again to the gearbox problem... so do you say it would be bad to swap it?
The 1.4 16v 90hp cames with 125/130nm of torque, the 1.4 16v turbo 100hp with a very little turbine raise it to 200nm... but i think after a remap with all the new components we will came to 95hp and almost 145/150nm of torque... do you say it would affect the performance badly?

FirestoneDK

Post by FirestoneDK » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:27 am

The stock 1.4 N/A makes 100-110PS with a regular stage 1 remap. If you also do engine upgrades, and fills with high octane gasoline only (99+) you should be able to get even greater gains.

TheGeorge

Post by TheGeorge » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:51 pm

The 1.4T makes 200 Nm on an economy map, 220 NM on a 'stage 1'. It's gearbox is staged for the 1.4T's torque, I really doubt it will feel good if is powered by an engine 30-40% less powerful.

Yes, you will make forward progress in the proposed combination, but you will find you'll have to push the pedal to the metal often and keep the RPM high, just to make decent progress (think you will also have a higher danger of stalling when going up a ramp ...) . Fuel consumption will also go way higher as well.

Maybe you can make it work. If you do the gearbox mod, please leave some impressions here, we are all looking to expand our horizons
Corsa E - 1.4T
MY 2016

Rickardo

Post by Rickardo » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:24 pm

1.4 n/a engine isn't designed to be thrashed.

OP you are pumping in a lot of money for minimal gains

You'd be better of part exchanging the car and using the mods money on top to get a 1.4T and start from that

drm345

Post by drm345 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:20 pm

Bearing in mind that the 1.4T and the 1.4n/a are completely different engines, is the OP's suggested swap physically possible?

drm345

Post by drm345 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:40 pm

drm345 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:20 pm
Bearing in mind that the 1.4T and the 1.4n/a are completely different engines, is the OP's suggested swap physically possible?
After a good bit of searching I've found a couple of pages with parts diagrams for the Corsa gearbox, the 6T30, and the Astra gearbox, the 6T35. It looks as if they are very similar so I'm guessing that the 6T35 would fit on the 1.4n/a engine. I suspect that the 6T35 is a more robust design. Whether it would be a straightforward job is up to an expert to say!
https://www.automaticchoice.com/en/tran ... -catalogue
https://www.automaticchoice.com/en/tran ... s/6t35-mnu

Bogbrush

Post by Bogbrush » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:48 pm

Yes you can source a 1.4T engine and six speed gearbox but much depends on your personal expertise and tool kit. For example there is no guarantee that the ecu and electronics are the same.

You should also upgrade the brakes at the same time. The 1.4T (100) now has disk brakes on the rear, and they are smaller in diameter than those fitted to the 1.4T (150)

I agree with previous comments that suggest your best plan is simply to trade up to a more powerful car.
2018 1.4T

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”