Transmission query

All Corsa E related discussions
Blitzball

Transmission query

Post by Blitzball » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:30 pm

Hello all

I have a Corsa E, 2019 plate. The story goes like this: Immediately after i bought a brand new Corsa E (end of May) i was hearing a weird sound coming from the clutch and it clearly was not engaging/disengaging properly. I returned it and they fixed it. No sound and transmission was fine. I did request them to email me the paperwork so i can see what happened but it didn't happen. I expected a bit better support in general, although it was not bad.

What i am noticing is that the first and second gear sometimes have a scratchy feeling. At times they are perfect but occasionally i get a scratchy feeling. This is more apparent if i go from first to second gear at high revs, whereas if i shift at lower revs it occurs much less and it is way smoother. This situation is almost non existent with 3rd, 4th and 5th gear.

I cannot say that it is a problem but rather annoying a bit. Anyone else has this issue before? I am not British so maybe you use a different term from ''scratchy''. I have 1900 miles on the clock.

mattb_srivx

Re: Transmission query

Post by mattb_srivx » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:48 am

When you say scratchy feeling do you mean difficulty changing from 1st to 2nd at higher revs? Mine does this too.
It always has, I just try not to change too fast between 1st and 2nd gears at higher revs. Vauxhall have also had a look and said they can't find a problem.

I think possibly there is no synchromesh on 1st gear but I'm not 100% so that could be why.
Corsa 1.4 TURBO

Blitzball

Post by Blitzball » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:16 pm

What you say is very accurate. At higher revs there is some difficulty from 1st to 2nd. I was thinking maybe a bad mesh but if you also have it, it might be just how it is.

Blitzball

Post by Blitzball » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:44 pm

Ancient bump but it might help. The situation got worse and i got it to the dealership.

They adjusted the gear cables (i am guessing not much tension hence gears would not lock properly). So far the difference is day and night, much smoother much faster.

devon556

Post by devon556 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:13 pm

I have he automatic version which might be a bit different because I don't notice anything like that, however my old Corsa D was a manual and did have a bit of funny changeover from 1st to 2nd. It also didn't like being put into 1st with the clutch down approaching junctions above 15mph.
2015 Corsa SE 1.4 90PS Automatic.