Handbrake Doing What it Wants? This a Common Issue?

All Corsa E related discussions
big-fish28

Handbrake Doing What it Wants? This a Common Issue?

Post by big-fish28 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:29 pm

Last night I parked my car outside of the shop just to run to the cash point to draw out a tenner. Literally just after I closed the door and started walking away from the car I heard a loud "BANG" which at first I thought sounded like something slapping the side of my car really hard. However, I then noticed it rolling forward so I had to run back, open the door and pull the handbrake back up. I could have sworn I left it that way when I first parked the damn thing though...

Is this a common issue? I was lucky that where I parked was only ever so slightly down hill and no other cars around however I can't afford to have this keep happening. My MOT is due fairly soon so will have to ask the garage about it but has anyone else experienced this?

devon556

Re: Handbrake Doing What it Wants? This a Common Issue?

Post by devon556 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:46 pm

big-fish28 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:29 pm
Last night I parked my car outside of the shop just to run to the cash point to draw out a tenner. Literally just after I closed the door and started walking away from the car I heard a loud "BANG" which at first I thought sounded like something slapping the side of my car really hard. However, I then noticed it rolling forward so I had to run back, open the door and pull the handbrake back up. I could have sworn I left it that way when I first parked the damn thing though...

Is this a common issue? I was lucky that where I parked was only ever so slightly down hill and no other cars around however I can't afford to have this keep happening. My MOT is due fairly soon so will have to ask the garage about it but has anyone else experienced this?
Extremely common, it's been happening for over 10 years with the Corsa D, and now the E. Vauxhall recommends to apply the handbrake firmly, and also leave it in a relevant gear, 1st uphill, reverse downhill, or if it's an automatic leave it in Park. There was a modification done to the Corsa D's to add an additional cable, but it hasn't solved it,
2015 Corsa SE 1.4 90PS Automatic.

Marksparks

Post by Marksparks » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:31 pm

Ive had my D since 2013, and the E Griffin since 2019, not had this happen... quickly finds some wood to touch!

paul04

Post by paul04 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:26 pm

I've had 3 corsa's and never had this happen.

devon556

Post by devon556 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:45 pm

Marksparks wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:31 pm
Ive had my D since 2013, and the E Griffin since 2019, not had this happen... quickly finds some wood to touch!
My old Corsa was a 2007 model and did it at least 3 times. My 65 plate has done it twice but luckily its an automatic.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... y-14276685
2015 Corsa SE 1.4 90PS Automatic.

Rob111gb

Post by Rob111gb » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:10 pm

Happened to me several times in several Corsa’s over the years. It seems to catch between cogs then drops down.
Only advice I’d give is when you apply the handbrake just crank it up, don’t hold the button in. 👍🏼

big-fish28

Post by big-fish28 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:33 pm

devon556 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:46 pm
big-fish28 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:29 pm

Extremely common, it's been happening for over 10 years with the Corsa D, and now the E. Vauxhall recommends to apply the handbrake firmly, and also leave it in a relevant gear, 1st uphill, reverse downhill, or if it's an automatic leave it in Park. There was a modification done to the Corsa D's to add an additional cable, but it hasn't solved it,
Ahh no way, I'm surprised I haven't heard about this happening to anyone else I know! Shame that an extra cable didn't cut it. Thanks for the advice, looks like I will start parking it in gear for safe measure.

big-fish28

Post by big-fish28 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:34 pm

Rob111gb wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:10 pm
Happened to me several times in several Corsa’s over the years. It seems to catch between cogs then drops down.
Only advice I’d give is when you apply the handbrake just crank it up, don’t hold the button in. 👍🏼
Thanks for the response. Noted!