Axle Noise

All Corsa E related discussions
devon556

Axle Noise

Post by devon556 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:26 pm

Hey all

Out of interest does anyone else have a lot of axle noise, in particularly on the motorway? Mine always seems to sound like a train, especially when going over a few bumps or slightly uneven road.
2015 Corsa SE 1.4 90PS Automatic.

mattb_srivx

Re: Axle Noise

Post by mattb_srivx » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:31 am

Refinement and road noise isn't the best on the Corsa E.
I thought a wheel bearing was knackered when I first got it with how loud it is at speed. It's worse with the 17 inch alloys compared to the 16 inch apparently.

It would be worth having the wheel bearings checked to rule those out. But yeah, they're not the best.

I have actually looked at some sound deadening for the floors and door cards to see if that would help but your talking about £100 to do all the car properly and I don't want to spend that if it's not going to really make much difference.

The strange thing is, I had a Corsa D VXR a few years ago with 18 inch alloys on and I can't recall that being as loud at speed as my newer Corsa is.
Corsa 1.4 TURBO

devon556

Post by devon556 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:55 pm

mattb_srivx wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:31 am
Refinement and road noise isn't the best on the Corsa E.
I thought a wheel bearing was knackered when I first got it with how loud it is at speed. It's worse with the 17 inch alloys compared to the 16 inch apparently.

It would be worth having the wheel bearings checked to rule those out. But yeah, they're not the best.

I have actually looked at some sound deadening for the floors and door cards to see if that would help but your talking about £100 to do all the car properly and I don't want to spend that if it's not going to really make much difference.

The strange thing is, I had a Corsa D VXR a few years ago with 18 inch alloys on and I can't recall that being as loud at speed as my newer Corsa is.
Yeah, I used to have a Corsa D which I gave to a relative, and the difference when I've been allowed to drive it is massive and quite surprising.
The noise has been there since I bought the car, and it passed MOT 3 months ago, plus having a coil spring changed only a month later so I can't see it being the wheel bearings. It's almost like the axles have no lubrication in them and it's just dry metal rubbing, which is a shame as otherwise it's a lot noise than the Corsa D.
2015 Corsa SE 1.4 90PS Automatic.

mattb_srivx

Post by mattb_srivx » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:20 am

Could also be thinner metals on the E for "cost saving" and less insulation on the panels.
Think it's just something you'll have to live with unfortunately.
Corsa 1.4 TURBO